Материалы для итоговой аттестации по английскому языку в 7-м классе (чтение)
Время выполнения заданий: 1 час
The History of Money
Can you imagine the world without money? It is quite impossible. Money
– they say – makes the world go round. Why is that so? Well, think of all the
situations in which you have to pay for the things you buy – like food, clothes,
medicine, newspapers, or for the services you get, like a new hairstyle or car repairs.
Think of the entertainment you have to pay for – tickets to concerts, sports
matches, favourite books, CDs and holidays. You can have it all if you’ve got the money.
Money has played an important role in every civilization.
It has taken various forms and has changed many times over the centuries. The first form of payment was the exchange of goods. People usually exchanged animal skins and meat, fruit and vegetables, clothes and precious stones. In ancient Egypt they used metal bars which were cut into smaller parts if necessary. In the 7th century ВС the first coins appeared. They were usually made of silver or gold and their value depended on the amount of metal in each coin. With time, coins became very popular and many countries produced their own currency.
The introduction of paper money – banknotes – in the 17th century was the beginning of banking systems in many European countries. Since then, banks have offered a wide range of services like loans, bank accounts and many others. Today, people pay for things in different ways: they pay in cash, by cheque or by credit card. The last one, it seems, is the most convenient form of payment. Many people believe that one day money in the form of coins, banknotes, cheques and magnetic cards will totally disappear and that all buying and selling will be done via the Internet.
I. Read the text and explain the words in bold.
money – _______________
entertainment – _______________
civilization – _______________
goods – _______________
popular – _______________
currency – _______________
convenient – _______________
totally disappear – _______________
II. Read the text again and circle the correct answer.
1. The first form of payment was…
c) the exchange of goods
2. Money has played an important role in…
a) every country
b) every civilization
c) every century
3. In ancient Egypt people used…
a) silver bars
b) metal bars
c) gold bars
4. The first coins appeared…
a) in the 15th century
b) in the 7th century
c) in the 16th century
5. Banking systems in many European countries began with…
c) metal bars
6. Many people believe that one day all buying and selling will be done…
a) at special shops
b) on the phone
c) through the Internet
III. Translate into English.
1. Можете ли вы представить мир без денег?
2. Деньги сыграли важную роль в каждой цивилизации.
3. Их обычно изготавливали из серебра или золота и их ценность зависела от количества металла в каждой монете.
4. Со временем монеты стали очень популярны и многие страны начали производить свою собственную валюту.
5. Древние египтяне использовали металлические бруски, которые в случае необходимости разрезались на мелкие части.
6. Введение банкнот в семнадцатом веке положило начало банковской системе во многих европейских странах.
IV. Translate into Russian.
1. Money makes the world go round.
2. Think of all the situations in which you have to pay for the things you buy – like food, clothes, medicine, newspapers, or for the services you get, like a new haircut or car repairs.
3. Money has changed many times over the centuries.
4. Today, people pay for things in different ways: they pay in cash, by cheque, or by credit card.
V. Fill in the correct prepositions.
1. To think ___ smb/sth.
2. To pay ___ the things.
3. Made ___ silver.
4. To play a role ___ civilization.
5. To depend ___ smb/sth.
VI. Continue the following ideas.
1. If you’ve got the money, you can...
2. In ancient Egypt people used metal bars which...
3. Many countries produced their own currency because…
4. The introduction of paper money was....
5. Many people believe that all buying and selling will be done via the Internet as...
VII. Match English and Russian phrases.
1. a world without money
а) форма оплаты
2. to play an important role in every civilization
b) появились первые монеты
3. form of payment
с) мир без денег
4. the first coins appeared
d) они производили свою собственную валюту
5. their value depended on
е) широкий выбор
6. they produced their own currency
f) их ценность зависела от
7. a wide range
g) играть важную роль в каждой цивилизации
VIII. Put the verbs in brackets into the required forms.
Money ___________(play) an important role in every civilization. The first form of payment _________(be) the exchange of goods. In ancient Egypt people ___________(use) metal bars. In the seventh century ВС the first coins ___________(appear). The introduction of banknotes _________(be) the beginning of banking systems in many European countries. Many people believe that one day money _____________(disappear).
IX. Complete the following ideas putting a word in each space.
Money makes ___________ go round. It has played an important ___________ in every civilization. It has taken various ___________ and has ___________ many times ___________ the centuries. In ancient ___________ people used metal ___________ which were ___________ into smaller ___________ if necessary. With time, ___________ became very ___________ and many countries ___________ their own currency. Many people believe that ___________ money will totally ___________ and that all ___________ and ___________ will be done via the Internet.