What Is Hot With the Young Generation?
контрольная работа по проверке
пройденного лексического и грамматического
материала к уроку 3 учебника В.П. Кузовлева
Английский язык. 10–11 классы
Цель: закрепить активную лексику 3
урока, проверить усвоение грамматических
структур: like and as, Degrees of comparison and phrases “Saying you are
unwilling to do something” and “Giving reasons”.
1. Заполните пропуски подходящими по смыслу
словами из рамки.
different, life, belong, to fight, wizards, hippie, subcultures,
skinheads, soul, Goths, fashionable, jewellery, rock-and-roll, patriotic, warehouses, mod,
I have never imagined that there are so many music styles and so many
(1)__________ around us. I have only known something about (2)__________, that they are
people who like to wear the blackest black and lots of silver (3)________. I begin to
understand why this subculture is so popular among teenagers and young people. They start
to analyse their (4)__________ and become dissatisfied with it.
With the Internet, appeared the subculture of (5)_______. I think that
every teenager would be proud to belong to this community, because these people are
considered the (6)________ of the computer world. But the (7)__________ subculture was a
complete novelty for me. I couldn’t even imagine that young people who study mostly at
different colleges and prefer to wear (8)__________ clothes can reflect any subculture.
Sometimes it is very difficult to tell to which subculture a person
belongs. As for the (9)________, it is easy because they cut their hair shorter than
others. Some people think that they are (10)________, but others say that the only thing
they want to do is (11)_______. A (12)________ subculture isn’t popular anymore; today
their community is becoming a place for really hopeless characters. I also think that
every subculture has its own musical style. For example, mods listen to (13)_________
music, hackers prefer (14)________ types of music, (15)________ prefer computer-made,
synthesised music and drugs to create massive all-night dance parties in empty
(16)_______. Hippies are fans of (17)______. My friends and I don’t (18)______ to any
subculture, we just have no time for them.
2. Подберите к каждому тексту заголовок. К
каждому тексту подходит только один заголовок.
Один заголовок лишний.
Wearing black clothing, white face-paint and black lipstick is mere
play-acting for most members of the subculture called Gothdom. “Every day is Halloween
for a Goth,” said Diana, a Gothic-Punk follower drawn to the movement by the dress,
music and “the romance of death.” Local cult expert Rand Johnson, a West Jordan police
captain, said every high school in Salt Lake Valley boasts a few Goths. Most are harmless,
but a few can become a danger to themselves and others. “The Goths are fascinated with
the darker side of life – with the grotesque, the mysterious, the desolate,” Johnson
said. “There is a fascination with graveyards, death and moody music.”
Johnson said that only a small percentage of Goths participate in
ritual bloodletting, animal sacrifices and the worship of Satan. “Gothdom is primarily a
form of rebellion, escapism – a hobby. And if it is not taken to the point of obsession,
it’s not a problem,” Johnson said. Explains a female Goth on an Internet homepage:
“Gothic for me is a release from the stress of having to be the perfect student, the
perfect daughter, etc. I have always been rebellious... and was drawn to Gothic music,
clothing, and a way of looking at life.”
Are Goths a threat to society? Salt Lake Police Sgt. Chuck Gilbert
said: “We haven’t had any trouble with the Goths. They’re mostly kids preoccupied
with death who wear a lot of white, black and purple makeup. They really don’t focus on
committing crimes, and for the most part they aren’t what we would classify as a gang.
They’re just real bizarre and, for the most part, they’ve been harmless.”
A. That’s why I am a goth.
B. They are not a threat.
C. Attraction of Gothdom subculture.
D. Goths wear silver chains because…
3. Прочитайте текст и выберите подходящий
In which paragraph is there information about:
A. a person that expresses her personal attitude to this
B. what attracts teenagers in this subculture.
C. the social behaviour of the Goths.
D. the Goth attitude to sacrifices and other rituals.
4. Переведите на английский язык.
1. Некоторые люди считают, что скинхэды
– это самая агрессивная субкультура.
2. Хиппи, как и скинхэды, протестуют против
3. Не хочешь мороженое? Нет, я лучше не буду.
Спасибо. Я сижу на диете.
4. Говорят, что ситуация в мире становится все
хуже и хуже.
5. Я хотела бы пойти с вами в кино, но боюсь, что мне
придется остаться дома.
6. В целом, я не думаю, что субкультуры – это плохо.
7. Подростки иногда также как и взрослые не знают,
как поступить в трудных ситуациях.
8. Мой друг любит слушать громкую музыку также как
и я (люблю это делать).
1. subcultures; 2. Goths; 3. jewellery; 4. life; 5. hackers; 6.
wizards; 7. mod; 8. fashionable; 9. skinheads; 10. patriotic; 11. to fight; 12. hippie;
13. soul; 14. different; 15. ravers; 16. warehouses; 17. rock-and-roll; 18. belong
1. C; 2. A; 3. B
A. 2; B. 1; C. 3; D. 2
1. Some people consider skinheads to be the most aggressive subculture.
2. Hippies, like skinheads protest against social norms.
3. Would you like an ice-cream? – No, I’d rather not, actually. Thank you. I’m on a
4. They say that the situation in the world is becoming worse and worse.
5. I would like to go to the cinema with you, but I’m afraid that I’ll have to stay at
6. On the whole, I don’t think that subcultures are bad.
7. Sometimes teenagers, like adults don’t know what to do in difficult situations.
8. My friend likes to listen to loud music as I like to do it (as I do).
Текст для контрольной работы по
аудированию для 3-го урока 11-го класса учебника
Born in the Midlands town of Stoke on February 13, 1974, Robert Peter Williams
is the biggest male singer to come out of Britain in a long, long time. He’s sold
millions of records the world over, and the single that launched him on the road to solo
megastardom, “Angels”, is one of the most requested songs at British funerals.
His first appearance on the pop scene was over a decade ago, in 1990,
but in a remarkably different guise. Nigel Martin-Smith had created a boyband called Take
That, and the role of the “cheeky one” fell to 16-year-old Robbie.
Six years later, with songs like “Back For Good”, “Relight My
Fire” and “Could It Be Magic”, and earnings of Ј80 million the group split up. But
Robbie was long gone. He had left the band in July 1995.
When, in 1996, Robbie released his first single, a cover version of
George Michael’s “Freedom”, the prognosis was not good. But, when he returned
a year later with the song “Old Before I Die”, it looked as though the handsome
entertainer was back at his best. Since then, his popularity has grown and grown, as has
his stature as a songwriter. He and his musical partner Guy Chambers picked up two gongs,
for Angels, at the UK’s Ivor Novello awards and, thanks to three million-selling
albums, have become the most sought-after musicians in London.
Although it may seem as though Robbie was born to fill the upper
echelons of the music charts, he also harbours a not-so-secret ambition to make it as an
actor. And there’s one role in particular that he seems to have in mind – that of
British secret agent 007.
Answer the questions.
1. How old is Robbie Williams?
2. Where is his song “Angels” mostly performed?
3. Where did Robbie Williams start his singing career?
4. After how many years did the group Take That split up?
5. When did Robbie Williams release his first single?
6. Was this single successful?
7. What is the name of his second song?
8. How many albums did Robbie Williams and his partner sell?
9. What is an ambition of Robbie Williams?
10. What role does Robbie Williams have in mind for himself?
Compiled by Natalya Plyugina,
School No. 44, Kaliningrad